Diploma- in -Reasoning
For the Session: 2009-2010
Paper-I: Principles of Logic
Unit- I :
The Nature of Logic; the notion of form, validity and truth; the
nature of implication.
Propositions : definition; its difference with sentence ; constituents or components of proposition; classification of propositions: modern and Aristotelian four fold; distribution of terms; expressing propositions in their logical forms ;diagrammatic representation of propositions.
Traditional square of opposition; immediate inferences; the categorical syllogism, figures and moods; rules of syllogism; Venn diagram technique for testing syllogisms; formal and informal fallacies; Relations and relational arguments; properties of relations, what are relational arguments; validityof relational arguments.
Arguments in ordinary language; reducing the number of term in a syllogistic argument, translating categorical proposition into standard form, enthymemes, sorites, disjunctive and hypothetical syllogisms,the dilemma.
Truth-functional compound propositions; argument forms and truth- tables.
1. B. N. Kaul : A Course in Deductive Logic, Sultan Chand & Sons, New Delhi
2. Cohen & Nagal : Introduction to Logic and Scientific Method, Macmillan
Publishing Company, London.
3. Copi, Cohen, Jetli & Prabhakar: Introduction to Logic, Pearson
4. Chhanda Chakraborti : Logic: Informal, Symbolic & Inductive, Prentice
Hall of India Pvt. Ltd.2007.
5. Krishana Jain : A Text Book of Logic, Ajanta Books International, New
Paper-II: Applied Reasoning
Unit- I :
Deriving inferences: Practical guidance for solving various types of exercises on immediate & mediate arguments.
Determining similarity of Logic in the arguments; Forcefulness of the Arguments. Discovering implied meaning of propositions; Testing of correct deduction based on give information.
Recognizing the sufficiency/insufficiency of date for a conclusion, Logical diagrams.
Unit-4 : Analytical Reasoning: Verbal and Non-Verbal.
Unit-5 : Coding-Decoding.
1. Ravi Chopra : Reasoning N’ Reasoning, Galgotia Publications Pvt. Ltd.,5
Ansari Road, New Delhi-110002.
2. Edgor Thorpe : A Course in Mental Ability and Quantitative Aptitude,
Tata McGraw Hill Company, 4/12 Asaf-Ali Road, New
3. K.K. Sharma : Verbal Reasoning for Competitions, Krishna prakahan
Media (P) Ltd, Meerut (U.P.).
4. R.S. Aggarwal : A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning,
S. Chand & Company Ltd., Ram Nagar, New Delhi.
5. Sanjay Sinha : Test of Reasoning (Verbal & Non-Verbal), Jawahar
Publishers, New Delhi.